What is the Status of the 2020 Summer Courses?
The coming season remains a “Tentative Go”. The word tentative is critical as we need to see how the virus situation evolves.
What Will the Final Decision Depend On?
1st and foremost will be a decision by Canadian governing authorities on the virus and relaxation of self-distancing rules. We will abide by Provincial and Federal guidelines and align with the BC Sail governing association.
We also have club-specific criteria in terms of minimum enrollment numbers and the availability of instructors and support staff.
When Will a Decision be Taken?
The decision point will likely be mid-June as we require 30 days to make support arrangements and prepare vessels/premises. This assumes July courses will launch (currently considered doubtful).
If we limit sailing to August (more likely), a decision can be deferred to July 1st.
What is the Current Canadian Situation on Corona-19?
As of April 17, 2020, the following measures are in force:
- Travel: The border closure with the USA is likely to be extended to mid-May, Island Ferry services are reduced and domestic air travellers must wear face masks.
- Canada is under a “stay at home” health guidance with mandated 2-meter (6-foot) distancing for any sorties (impossible in a boat).
- Face masks are recommended for any public place visits and most islanders are self-isolating.
- Part-time residents/visitors have been asked to stay in their home province and not visit recreational properties in BC.
- Only essential services (for example grocery/gas stores) are open for customer visits under restricted-access conditions.
What Should Prospective Sailors Do?
Returning students should register on May 1st at email@example.com. Potential new students should register on May 15th at the same email address.
Given the uncertain situation, we will only require payment once a final decision on course prospects has been taken in June.
For details of course dates/costs please refer to the appropriate headings at the top of this web site.