Our courses have been popular with children from Pender, visitors, and summer residents. While we traditionally identify with kids, adults are always welcome in all of our course levels. Adults will generally be paired with another adult in levels 1 & 2 and should recognize that small-boat agility is required.
PIJSA offers 4 levels of instruction – addressing different levels of student proficiency. Our curriculum is Sail Canada approved and taught by certified instructors. All successful candidates will receive a recognized certificate from the Canadian governing body.
For 2020, PIJSA will also offer a Fun Sailing alternative for students who have successfully completed CANSail level 2 and are 12 years old. This segment does not involve instruction and is not led by CANSail certified instructors.
- The levels include CANSail 1 & 2 for beginners, taught using Pirate class boats (similar to our older Flying Juniors). These trainers usually have 3 youths or 2 adults per boat.
- Advanced sailors enrolled in CANSail 3 & 4 courses use a combination of single and dual-person Lasers.
- Fun Sailing will use single and dual-person Lasers accompanied by an adult in a motorized chase boat.
Courses are held at the Browning Harbour beach on Monday through Friday at a cost of C$175 (Fun Sailing is C$125). Please email email@example.com for registration at 8:00 AM Pacific Time on either May 1st or May 15th.
The course dates for 2019 are:
- Level 1&2 – July 13-17, July 27-31, Aug 3-7, Aug 17-21
- Level 3&4 – Aug 3-7, Aug 17-21
- Fun Sailing – July 13-17, July 27-31
All courses last 5 days (Monday to Friday), from 9:00AM to about 3:00-3:30PM.
For the 2020 season, we will offer 2 registration dates:
- May 1st for returning students and members of their household,
- May 15th for new students.
For more information contact Allyson Coffey (604) 220-7259 or Bruce Waygood (250) 818-8555. Regular updates will also be posted to this site at www.penderislandjuniorsailing.com
All students must demonstrate swimming proficiency while wearing a personal flotation device (life jacket) for about 50 meters and participate in a capsize exercise. As these are critical safety issues, failure to do either of these will result in termination in the course and no refund. CANSail 1 & 2 students must be at least 9 years old when the course begins, and CANSail 3 & 4 participants must be 12 and have passed CANSail 2. Fun Sailing participants have identical requirements to level 3 & 4 students.