Sailing Courses Offered:
CanSail 1: For participants 9 years old and up who have either some or no sailing experience. The goal of this level is to learn & apply the basic skills of sailing and teamwork in a Flying Junior sailboat (FJ) with 1-2 other students.
CanSail 2: The next level up from CanSail 1 for those who have demonstrated sailing skills. The goal is to increase their sailing skill level, to gain confidence and to synchronize their sailing duties with their crewmates in FJs.
CanSail 1 & 2 are offered together: max. 12 students/week; children 3/boat; adults 2/boat
CanSail 3: For participants 12 years old and up who are ready to learn sailing single-handed in a Laser I or for those wishing to sail with a partner in a Laser II.
CanSail 4: For those with demonstrated sailing skills and confidence sailing a Laser 1 single-handed and wishing to increase their skill level, sailing speed and fun on the water.
CanSail 3 & 4 are offered together: max 10 students/week
Where & When: Courses are held at the boat launch at Hamilton Beach, which is near Browning Marina & Pub, Monday – Friday 9:00am–3:30pm. Washrooms are available at the marina.
What to Bring: Each day, participants should bring:
- water, sunscreen, hat, towel, swimming gear, shoes suitable for the beach & water, a change of clothes & layers in case it gets cold. PIJSA will have extra water and sunscreen on hand, just in case. PIJSA does have PFDs; if you bring your own it should NOT be the type that inflates on contact with water and should be Department of Transport approved.
- snacks & lunch. On Friday, a BBQ lunch is provided for everyone, participants and family.
- CanSail 1 & 2: The participants must be 9 years old ON or BEFORE the start date of the course.
- CanSail 3 & 4: The participants must be 12 years old ON or BEFORE the start date of the course.
- Adults: All ages are welcomed, but should recognize that moving from side-to-side in a small boat DOES require some flexibility & agility.
- Swimming: At the beginning of the course, all participants must demonstrate the ability to swim about 100 ft in a life jacket. Please make sure your child/participant will go in the cool water. IF THIS IS NOT DEMONSTRATED, THE PARTICIPANT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO SAIL & FEES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
- Capsizing: Near the beginning of the course, all participants must learn how to capsize and right a capsized boat. Please make sure your child/participant knows they will have to do this. IF THIS IS NOT DEMONSTRATED, THE PARTICIPANT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO SAIL & FEES WILL NOT BE REFUNDED.
Fees and Payment:
Each course is $150.00. Payment should accompany the completed two-page Registration Package and must be submitted within two (2) weeks after receiving confirmation of registration. Submit online with payment by Paypal or deposit in the PIJSA envelope in the Pender Realty Office or mail to PIJSA c/o 3701 Capstan Lane, Pender Island, BC V0N 2M2
If PIJSA has to cancel a course, the registration fee will be refunded. If a participant withdraws prior to the start of a course, the fee will be refunded only if another participant can be found.
Notice to Parents/Guardians:
We are very pleased you have chosen to enroll yourself, your child(ren) or grandchild(ren) in our Summer Sailing School. We will do our best to see that they have a lot of fun and learn to sail in safety. As our attention must be focused on the water, the directors, volunteers and instructors are ONLY responsible for children who are participating in the sailing program.