The CANSail 1 and 2 courses for junior/intermediate sailors will run on 3 separate weeks in July and August. These are combined courses – matching newcomers with seasoned sailors on each boat. In addition to level 1 and 2 courses, advanced sailors have a choice of 2 dates in August. These courses will run at the same time with separate instructors for the CANSail and Advanced groups.
For Junior/Intermediate Sailors
- The 1st combined session will run from Monday July 11th to Friday July 15th.
- The 2nd combined session will run from Monday August 1st to Friday August 5thth.
- The 3rd combined session will run from Monday August 22nd to Friday August 26th.
For Advanced Sailors
The club will provide two weeks of advanced courses using Lasers (1 week for each course). These courses will use a separate instructor for the 5 boats of solo sailors.
- The 1st Laser session will run from Monday August 1st to Friday August 5th.
- The 2nd Laser session will run from Monday August 22nd to Friday August 26th.
CANSail 1 and 2 groups will use Flying Junior boats while advanced sailors will use Lasers.
All groups will be taught by CANSail approved instructors.
For CANSail participants we combine more knowledgeable sailors with “newbies” (generally 3 persons per boat) to provide new comers with a guiding hand in the first few days. Our instructors are certified by BC Sailing under auspices of a national program. Junior and Intermediate sailors in the CANSail 1 and 2 programs will be evaluated on the Friday afternoon after our traditional picnic on Mortimer Spit. They are eligible for competency certificates from our national sailing organization.
The Advanced course taught on Laser sailboats relies on elements of the national program but has limited racing aspects. As a result, we do not offer nationally recognized certificates for participants.
Courses run from Monday to Friday inclusive.
* The Monday class starts at 9:00 AM to allow registration and runs until 3:00 PM.
* Tuesday through Friday courses run from 9:30 in the morning until 3:00 in the afternoon, with an hour off for lunch on the beach.
All courses are C$125 per week with registration on May 1st for all programs.